Thursday, February 21, 2008

Weathering Natural Distractions

I have all the hours of today and tomorrow to write, and what do I do? I listen to the sleet pellets pecking at the windows and check radar to see how long this band of "wintry mix" will last. Overcast days feel cozy and thoughtful to me. And daydreaming overshadows my more industrious nature.

How can I tame this inner rebellion? Or should I go with what is and enjoy the soft day?

Not much of a decision there! Right. I chose the latter. But rather than frustrate my muse, I worked on my "Year-in-the-Life" memoir journal. What's that? you say.

Despite my impassioned teachings about personal journaling, I seldom follow my own advice. (There's an embarrassing admission.) But I've restructured my approach and made a pledge to myself. I shall write a "Year-in-the-Life" memoir covering 366 days (this being Leap Year), being faithful to the project even if I have to play catch-up now and then.

In the process, I've rediscovered all of the benefits which I've espoused to others over the last several years, only more so. Journaling on the computer allows me to put down more words in far less time than handwriting would. Therefore, the entries are longer and more introspective.

And the point is? The point is I can read back over them and gain amazing insights about what makes me tick. What combination of events tends to produce which moods – joy, despondency or sadness? That knowledge will help me build upon the positives and defang the negatives with more confidence. I like that. Rereading the entries also validates the old saw, "This too shall pass." What was terribly painful last Wednesday is no more than a faint memory today.

So when my mood is more contemplative than industrious, I work on my memoir journal – and write a new blog entry along the way.

Happy writing!

Linda ~

No comments: