Thursday, February 14, 2008

Writing Coherence

In writing a book or chapter thereof, there is first a period of scribbling down ideas. Then we transfer the worthiest of those to the keyboard and begin expanding upon them, which is what I've been doing for the two new chapters for the journaling book. The thing the inexperienced writer isn't usually told is that at this point, you still just have a bunch of free-standing ideas, and it takes some time for them to mature. At which time your muse will shift into an organized thought pattern.

Which is what mine has finally done! My lovely, disconnected notes have coalesced forming a coherent if skimpy written chapter. It's greater than an outline, but not yet fully fleshed out. Still, the breath of life is evident in the text. Those of you who have typed this path are familiar with the paradigm shift. But you who are new to the trade may not have experienced it yet. It's a glorious event! The chapter now lives.

This brief posting is to let you beginners know (and remind the veterans) that it takes time for your words to get acquainted with each other. Each time you open the tile to develop and expand upon your ideas will move the piece along toward a cohesive offering.

Be aware, be alert, and then ... be thankful.

~ Linda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linda,
I happened upon your blog by way of the Amazon portal. Your site has provided a very enjoyable read. I associate with many of your posts as they deal with topics I have also "ruminated" in my own mind. Likely, you are already aware of this journaling technique but I wanted to mention my method of creating a nature journal.
Being a photographer and a Photoshop enthusiast I have started taking my journals to what I refer to as "the next level" by combining my photos and text in Photoshop to create a page. Then, after accumulating enough pages about a particular period in my life I upload them to an on-line photo lab that will print and bind them into a hardback book. Each journal is "transformed" into coffee table book that friends and family really seem to enjoy reading.