Saturday, March 1, 2008

Time & Writing

What a distressing discovery. I've just come to realize that there isn't enough time for a writer to lead a well-rounded life!

OK, that's overstating it. But finding time for all aspects of me - creative muse, curious mind, loving mom/grandmother/friend, healthy inner child, nature lover - and fit in a daily meditation, all in the course of a day or even a week often eludes me. Still, short changing any of them makes me feel crummy.

Am I keeping up with professional deadlines? Paying my bills? Getting together with family and friends? Writing? What an upper it is for me to hiking around my neighborhood park and immerse myself in nature. But I haven't taken time for that in weeks. How does one prioritize those things?

One solution I’ve learned is to take each day as it comes. Yes, some things must be scheduled ahead of time. But considering the constant shifts in our lives, prioritizing according to the day’s needs makes sense. Mental and emotional health must be factored in too, lest the imbalance flatten our joie de vivre. Flexibility and humor both come in handy.

The companion piece to this involves patience and understanding of our imperfect selves. Make-do actions can sometimes ward off that nasty cloud of guilt. You’ve dropped the ball in treating your elderly aunt to a monthly lunch out. Maybe a quick and loving note to her could make you both feel reconnected until you can get together. Trimming the chore down to a more manageable size can make all the difference.

So it looks like I’m beginning to sort through this challenge after all. I’ll get back to you on the guilt thing, though. I’ve had a lot of experience feeling that first before my brain kicks in. And you know about old habits.

Good luck on your own time management. And happy writing~

Linda

No comments: