Monday, November 1, 2010

Stress Relief & Socializing

This is written especially for those who, like me, enjoy socializing with friends, but can't quite face large (over 6 people), noisy gatherings when we're feeling stressed. Such get togethers simply drain our inner batteries more quickly during unsettled times and wear us out.

In the past, I followed the go-or-no principle. Since I really don't care for the shallow interactions of "cocktail party" events, they were easy to decline. But still I was left feeling a little left out if it involved friends or family.

After a lifetime of yes or no, I finally realized that the social gatherings that nourished me weren't all or nothing. Enjoying a 5-hour party for 2 or 3 hours and then leaving is sometimes just right. And theimportant people in my life don't think twice about a slightly early departure.

If you choose that route, I suggest you arrive at the start. Otherwise, you come into the middle of conversations and activities. Leave gracefully when you feel  happily satisfied. You will return home refreshed but not drained!

Happy socializing ~

Linda

No comments: