Sunday, September 7, 2008

Book Publishing & the Time Factor

This time we're going to look at a few aspects of the time involved in self-publishing your book. My thoughts are based on you wanting to produce a commercially viable book (classy enough for the local Borders) through basic self-publishing. That means opening your own publishing company and performing all the functions of a book publisher including paying for the printing and binding. Here are some of the primary preparations:
  • Read authoritative books on self-publishing a top quality book. As mentioned earlier, the most thorough manuals are Dan Poynter's Self Publishing Manual now in its 16th edition and the Ross's book, Complete Guide to Self-Publishing, 4th edition. There are others, and I encourage you to read 2 or more in addition to those. Yes, there will be some repetition, but you'll pick up new lessons from each one.
  • Write out your business plan, even a rough one, to include sending requests for quotation to at least 10 reputable book printers, figure out your company name, file that as a DBA (doing business as) with your state, and begin devoting a portion of your brainstorming time to producing and selling the book, on top of writing it.
  • Hunt for and interview graphic artists who have experience in designing book covers. (More on that quest later.)
  • Rewrite your manuscript a minimum of 3-4 times before you even think of sending it to an outside editor. Polished text is the name of the game.
In other words, study the business of self-publishing and put that knowledge into play!

X Major caveat: Having experience in the business world
will be more valuable to you than all the sparkling reviews
in the world! If you don't have it, invite a business-savvy
friend to guide you.

When I received my very first sizeable fax order from Ingram (book wholesaler), I danced and cavorted like a writer possessed - OK, that's exactly what I was. Then I realized I hadn't designed my company invoices yet or packing list. But I was doublely fortunate. I'd work in a purchasing department long, long ago, and remembered the documents and procedures I'd learn then.


Therefore, if you feel a strong pull to publish your own book as I did, plan to invest some time in learning the business. It's actually fascinating to some of us! But it does cost a lot of hours and days of personal study.

As you read the books and consider the time involved in setting up the business, taking and invoicing orders, shipping books, marketing and other duties, think about whether these activities intrigue and attract you, or if you run ascreaming into the great hereafter. Thsi isn't a pass/fail situation. Listen to your gut.


Next time I'll share my story of why I chose to open my own publisihig company, Pen Central Press.

Happy reading - and writing ~

Linda

No comments: