Saturday, April 12, 2008

5 Days to Book Printing

It’s been a wild time for a quiet writer-person like me. The last time we visited on Writer's Ruminations, the revised first edition of my book, The Many Faces of Journaling 2nd edition, was being proofread.

Last Sunday morning I picked that up, made most of the changes suggested by the proofreader, and copied it to a jump drive. Monday at a quick pick-up dinner, I passed the project along to the indexer.

Obviously, at this point in the process, my schedule is measured in hours, not days.

I retrieved the indexed electronic file from her Wednesday, drove back to my place, loaded it onto the laptop, corrected a few spacing shifts, and ran off a fresh hardcopy of the whole kit & caboodle for the final proofreader. She met me at Borders and took the manuscript home for a keen-eyed, picky perusal of all 183 pages.

Today [Saturday] she called with a couple of questions about formatting and told me she’ll have it back to me on Monday – day after tomorrow. Hot dern!

If it’s early in the day, I’ll make the corrections, and ship it to the printer Tuesday morning. (Good grief! Think of all the Post Office patrons who’ll be mailing last minute tax returns that day.)

That’s almost a week ahead of my target date!
Man, do I have a go-git-‘em book crew here.

Today being Saturday and all, I headed down to Kaldi's Coffee Shop to ponder & scribble a bit on the book that could be coming out in February 2010.

What a welcome change of pace. It’s in a stage of bubbling ideas and random note taking. There's no schedule, deadline, nor any kind of structure involved, except for that far away date two years hence. For now it’s pure creative playtime.

Wish me luck as I fret over the last touches to prepare my literary baby for the real world, all fluffed and buffed and ready!

And happy writing to you all~

Linda

No comments: