Friday, April 4, 2008

2 1/2 Weeks and Still Lucid

Experience is good. Most of us suspected that, but tonight I can verify it. The orderly flow of chores threw me into a tizzy the last time I published. Of course, then I was coming out with three (!!!) books at one time—something experience has taught me never to do again.

But thanks to my prior walks along this path, the 2nd edition of The Many Faces of Journaling is moving along at the planned pace. That means that on Monday, April 21st, I’ll ship this manuscript off to the book printer and let it take its place in their production line. It’s almost all grown up now ~

The content editor did her thing on the revised author’s preface and introduction and on the two new chapters. I, in turn, made the changes I deemed beneficial, then handed off the updated and revised 1st edition manuscript for proofreading.

While the proofer has been fine tooth combing that, I’ve updated the Press Kit. So far, the new kit includes the Book Fact Sheet, Quotations from The Many Faces of Journaling 2nd. Ed., Media introduction and Sample Questions, Speaker Available Sheet, Endorsement Sheet, and the longer book review.

That’s actually enough for now, since fewer people want to see the Press Kit than in the past. Generally, it goes to bookstore event coordinators, radio or TV program directors, or non-bookstore retail locations where a book reading and signing might be well received (and profitable).

To accommodate those who don’t want the hardcopy kit, I’ll ask my web master to set up a “Press Room” on the PenCentralOnline.com web site. That’s another job—creating the list of additions and changes to the two web sites to promote this new edition.

I’m not getting out of the office much these days, and for the most part, I'm deeply grateful to just be able to work. But once a week, I recharge my whole battery bank during lunch with a brilliant and highly creative writing colleague. And one other time, I’ll get together with family or friends to stay in touch with the outside world and exercise my funny bone. I actually took a walk in the sunshine last week!

This truly is a blogging ramble. But it’ll give you an inside view of how engrossing this authoring and publishing business can be at particular times in the process. That’s why obsession is quite useful for a writer. Blocking everything else out helps you concentrate!

Pure focus on your writing is a beautiful thing ~

Linda

No comments: