Friday, November 16, 2007

Cafe Writing

Yesterday morning, I met a book coaching client at the Pantera’s, and for the next hour +, we analyzed and restructured the outline for Section II of her book. After she left, I stuck around for awhile working up material for the “Green Journaling” chapter of MFJ2. As happened at Kaldi’s, I accomplished a great deal of writing (pen and legal pad) in just two, tightly focused hours. There were even a few quick hits of inspiration!

At the moment and for whatever reasons, my mind seems to rise far better to the writing occasion away from my office. Sure, that’s happened with other books. But not to this extent. When I’m seated at a booth or table, comforted by a bottomless mug of fresh Columbian Dark, amidst a small but pleasant chunk of humanity, different brain cells join the effort, and I’m off and writing. It’s from that kind of mental immersion that my favorite analogies and plays-on-words emerge, and both of those techniques add such richness to writing!

Today I’ll type up all these hand-written café notes and see what I’ve got so far. (And hope most ernestly that they still sound interesting back here in my office.)

As I’ve taught, the first step in writing a book (or chapter) is scribbling down unstructured ideas, and that’s where I am right now. I really love this part!

Linda

* Next: Chores of the Publisher-Author

No comments: